Monday, June 1, 2009

New Restaurant Review: Tonic

We tried a new restaurant this weekend, Tonic, it actually opened in December, but it was just this weekend when we were trying to figure out where to eat, I am so bad at this, that we remembered we wanted to try it out. The restaurant decor was very nice and the food, service, and drinks were awesome. We decided to do two appetizers each and go with the "petite portion" of the meals we wanted. We were told by the waitress that the portions were small so you could try a lot of different things, so thats what we did.

Dan started off with the seafood bisque and I got the study in cheese, 5 very different cheese all with an accompaniment to enhance the flavor, I love cheese so you cant go wrong there, each was wonderful and I even found a new cheese to love, port du salute. Dan really liked the bisque, he said I wouldn't have liked it because it was too fishy for me, so I didn't try it. Next Dan had the calamari, it was very good with a different kind of sauce than we were use to with calamari, more of a chili sauce it was very good, one of the best calamaris I ever had actually. I had the blue crab gratin, it was so good, the crab wasn't blue but the cheese was and it was creamy with fresh crab and another cheese crisped on top served with crotons, so yummy! For dinner Dan got the Lobster Mac n' Cheese which was so rich and delicious with big pieces of lobster, I could have eaten his whole bowl! I had the crispy filet mignon, it was perfectly cooked with a crispy thinly sliced ham wrapped around it served with an onion tart and seasonal vegetables, very good! Next was dessert, so cute each dessert comes with a shot of something to drink, Dan got a mini funnel cake with a shot of hot cocoa and I got an apple tart with a shot of sweet white dessert wine, my favorite!

All the food was very delicious and the fact that its two minutes from our house is a big plus, there were only two complaints one little silly one and one big...The first silly one is you can tell they spent a lot of time decorating a selecting the finest decor, linens, and tableware, down to even the gorgeous salt and pepper shakers, yet they had these ugly fake plastic plants on the table ug, the second issue and this is a big one was the hostess, we had reservations at 6:30, early for them perfect for us, we get there and there are not that many people and plenty of tables, yet when the hostess seats us she bypasses the gorgeous booths in the front and takes us to a table right next to the bathrooms and kitchen entrance, ew!! Thank god the space between the table and wall was too small for Dan's leg or we would have had to sit there, yuck! I have to say that was the worse seat in the house and didn't start us off on the right foot, luckily our waitress was super sweet and and picked out a lovely wine for me that made me soon forget! We will definitely be going again, next time just requesting a front booth.

No comments: